Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Large format Coaxial designs

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    You're forgetting about the XO's delay, which will put the HF's acoustic center way behind the LF's, so the HF driver behind the LF will be much closer, with the gap increasing with increasing slope order.

    GM

  2. #32
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Anybody have any comments about the drivers in the 9894? Basically a large-formant 604, with a 299 HF and a large CD horn crossed at 1k. I haven't read any comments about them.

    Dave

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Large format Coaxial designs


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    No experience yet Dave. Haven't seen one, frankly I don't even know if AlPro has sold one.

    Interesting concept. Just know nothing of the execution.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd be using my own delays in the crossover. The cabinet would be bi-amped.

  5. #35
    HB Forum Owner Russ Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi bfish. I have spec sheet AL-1791 for the 8050A. It lists the Hewlett Packard HP 15119A 1/2" condenser mic as an accessory. The mic power supply is built into the 8050A. My 1969 HP catalog says the mic uses +200V polarization voltage. Hope this helps.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, Russ! That sure does help, even though that mic may be harder to find than an honest politician.....at least now I know what to look for. Appreciate the help! forums

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Large format Coaxial designs


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Bfish- there are a couple AES reprints about the 8050a available, I used to have them but God only knows where they are. Know anyone in AES? There a lot cheaper if you're a member. I used to be but I lapsed a while back.

    Member price to download used to be like $5 an article.

    They just basically tell you how the thing works, if you already know all that they may not be of interest.

    Wonder what the difference is between measurement mics? Or if HP bought the mic OEM?

    Unfortunately I'll probably never know.

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Large format Coaxial designs


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Holy **** - $30 for a manual. I'd have to have my conscience amputated to be an Ebay dealer.

    If you'd asked me 10 years ago I'd probably have sold my whole set for $30.

    Hi Dave- I know Altec marketed something similar in the 90's- but didn't it have the 1" throat? I thought the 1.4 spec was new?

  9. #39
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All I know about them is from the above specs sheets, which on page one do seem to indicate a 1.4" throat.

    "The 'Duplex' driver combines the Altec Lansing 515-8GHP 16" low frequency driver and 299 1.4" high frequency compression driver with a 90 by 40 degree constant directivity horn for smooth directivity through the crossover region."

    It's copyrighted '94, which I guess is pretty late in the Altec lineage so maybe not many of these were made. I wonder if Great Plains or Iconic have any plans to offer something similar at some point. Perhaps the size of the horn causes some problems for the midrange between 200 hz and 1khz?

    Dave

  10. #40
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I now see in a post from Todd last year that the 9894 (and 9864 which as far as I can tell seems identical) was designed by Bill Hanushack, so now I'm really curious if he still makes them. Not that I have the money, but I'd be curious to hear what they sound like.

    Dave

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.